Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Place (and some other things...)

This post is going to be mostly pictures. We're all settled into our apartment and I finally got around to taking these! It's really quite a lovely place :).

This is the view from near the front door. See those doors on the left? Behind them is the "kitchen"...so if I don't feel like doing dishes, I can just hide the mess ;). Brilliant. Oh and there's the hospital bag on the right, all ready to go at a moment's notice :).
Behind door number one we have the kitchen! See the two burners? I couldn't be happier about that (our apartment in Shanghai just had one...and about half the cupboard space)!
Across the hall from the kitchen is the bathroom, I love the tiled walls.
That's our washer to the right of the shower. No dryer of course, but I've gotten used to hanging our clothes up to dry.  It's not so bad...in fact, I kind of like it! It feels like I'm living in a simpler time ;).
Our purple bed :). The mattress was absolutely horrible (like bruise-your-hips hard) but we bought a foam pad to put on top and now it's super comfortable. And the biggest bed we've ever had! We don't have a couch, so we spend a lot of our time chillin' on the bed. It's a little strange...
Red fridge, nice TV, and Oliver's little corner. And notice the toaster oven next to the TV? No ovens in China, and our apartment didn't have a microwave either. So we decided to buy this toaster oven and I've already used it like 5 times in the past week, I think we'll definitely get our money's worth. And we certainly couldn't spare any counter space in the kitchen, so next to the TV it sits :).
Sitting area and dining table. There's our Mesa temple fan sitting on the little table :).  And we bought that white shelf thing from Ikea (yes, they have one here!) cause there just wasn't enough room in the closet. I hang our clothes to dry on that railing thing by the window...I don't know if that's its purpose but it works nicely.
Made some brownies :).
I've discovered that a rice cooker can be used for many things. It can function a bit like a crock pot and can even be used for baking brownies :). I put about half the batter in and it took like an hour and a half to bake them.
They don't look very good, but they tasted okay! We just kept telling ourselves that any brownies is better than no brownies at all (not always true, but true in this case).
While the brownies were slowly baking in the rice cooker we went out and bought our toaster oven. So I baked the second half of the batter in the toaster oven and they turned out very different than the rice cooker brownies, but also good :).
And...I look awful in this picture, but here I am at 37 weeks! Technically full term! Someone needs to tell Oliver that it's okay for him to come now if he wants...he's not listening to me :).
The view from our apartment window. We live on the 42nd floor! My ears pop whenever I ride the elevator up to our apartment ;). The picture doesn't quite capture it but the last several days the setting sun has been bright red! It's beautiful.

8 comments:

  1. Love it. The place looks great. E-mail me the posts. winterfreebairn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, and what a great view! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Ray. And by the way, you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you hit 37 weeks the waiting is almost unbearable. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome view. Your apartment is very New York, big city. I like it. You look cute with your pregnant belly! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Rainy dear, what an adventure!! You're place is darling and so are you. Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apartment is so stinkin' cute, I love the decor, it looks like a crisp/clean magazine home :).

    I absolutely love the doors to hide the Kitchen mess, I've got to figure out how to get me some of those :). Love the idea of Brownies in the rice cooker, did you read it online somewhere, or just give it a try!?

    Olivers little corner is so cute... so just out of curiousity, how much did the pack and play cost in China? I always wonder if Chinese people get better prices than us, considering that everything's made there :).

    Oh and a memory foam pad is a critical investment for any bed (except one that already has one built in of course), it makes SUCH a big difference!

    Okay, last comment in my novel here... it blows me away that you live on the 42nd floor! That's an awesome view, you just gotta pray that there's always a working elevator right (especially when you go into labor ;)).

    So I'm guess you got everything worked out with the hospital registration, so now it's just a waiting game :). Some people have all the luck and get to go several weeks early, but my first was enduced a week late! Just don't get your hopes up for going early, ('cause that makes the weeks go so much slower) but remember that he WILL eventually come out, he can hide his pretty face forever :). Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summ, to answer your questions...one of my china friends suggested the rice cooker thing so I've been reading online about the different things you can make in one. The pack-n-play was actually given to me by a friend in Shanghai who was going back to the states and didn't want to take it with her, lucky me :). Because actually it would be very expensive here. The problem is that the things we use regularly in the states (port-a-cribs, strollers, car seats) are uncommon here so you can't just walk into Target or Wal-mart and have a wide selection with a wide range of prices. There are stores where you can get normal baby things that we use in the states but they're catered to foreigners so it's way more expensive. I don't know what they use here for their babies, but it's definitely different. We do have everything worked out with the hospital in Shanghai where I'll be delivering and the tentative plan is for me to go to Shanghai a week or so before and stay with a family there who was in our branch over the summer. We're just praying that if I go into labor before then we'll have plenty of time to make it to Shanghai. I can't wait for him to come!! :)

    ReplyDelete